Post Title: MEAL Officer
Report to: Senior Health & Nutrition Officer
Duty Station: Somali Regional State, Kebribeyah
Duration: 17 Months
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Hargelle, Elkere, Bare, Dekasuftu, Jigjiga, Afar Regional State; Ewa & Gulina and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us.
Under direct supervision of the Senior Health and Nutrition Officer and matrix reporting to the country office MEAL Manager, the MEAL Officer will support health and nutrition officers in performance and quality management, undertake MEAL related activities of Adolescent and Maternal Nutrition Project being implemented in Gursum, Harrowa and Kebribeyah woredas of Somali region. S/he is part of the Health and Nutrition Team in Gursum, Harrowa and Kebribeyah woredas and the primary focus of the position is to engage in Monitoring and Evaluation of Adolescent and Maternal Nutrition. This officer also will contributes to overall health and Nutrition project quality through developing different reporting tools, checking report completeness and timeline, coordinate different events in consultation with MEAL Manager.
The MEAL officer closely work with Health and Nutrition unit staffs and support Government health and education sector staffs and IR’s Health and Nutrition officers for the smooth and accurate running of the Adolescent and Maternal Nutrition Project program through planning, capacity building and supervision. Additionally, the MEAL Officer will actively support the planning, implementation and coordination of adolescent and Maternal Nutrition interventions in close consultation with Senior Nutrition Officer as well as Health and Nutrition Coordinator. The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer is responsible for establishing and implementing an appropriate monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning systems at the project area, based on evidence of good practices and in line with Donor requirements to help ensure the successful delivery and attainment of project goals and objectives. S/he ensures that strong MEAL system is in place so that the implementation of the project is of high quality and accountable to beneficiaries, partners and donors.
The MEAL officer is responsible to but not limited to the following duties:
- Collection and compiling:
- Together with the Health and Nutrition Officers develop sector specific M&E data management tools and provide training on the tools for project staff and woreda experts.
- Compile health and Nutrition program data from all intervention woreda, health facilities conduct data quality checking with input from health and Nutrition officers, analyze data in consultation with Senior Health and Nutrition Officer , document findings for recommendation and decision making in a timely manner
- Support MEAL Manager in establishing health database for regular supervision and indicator information using Microsoft Excel /Access, EPI info and other software as required.
- Produce monitoring checklists and conduct regular field process monitoring, quality assessment and data validation, and provide feedbacks and recommendations for timely improvement.
- Develop capacity of local communities, partners and staff on the program M&E framework, data management, and data analysis and results‐oriented programming, monitoring and evaluation methods and principles and reporting systems.
- Participate in all other aspects of MEAL, for example surveys, baselines, evaluations, joint projects monitoring and reviews / lessons learning workshops/events.
- Analysis and presentation
- Monitor the project progress based on the selected indicators of the project.
- In monthly bases check data quality (completeness, timeliness) in collaboration with Senior Health and Nutrition Officer, MEAL Manager and Officers
- Promote learning in the project, particularly on issues of program quality. Regularly analyze data and produce reports and case studies; ensure new analysis and information is available
- Prepare presentation for Adolescent and Maternal Nutrition projects performance review meeting
- Update indicator matrix in collaboration with Health and Nutrition Coordinator and senior Health and Nutrition officer
- Attend relevant woreda & community meetings as required and provide feedbacks if relevant
- Make sure the utilization of appropriate reporting templates that facilitate the acquisition and aggregation of data in sectors or develop and maintain effective database.
- Lead on monitoring and improving the synergy and integration of Adolescent and Maternal nutrition to enhance delivery of outstanding results
- Capacity building
- Build the capacity of health and Nutrition program staff in the area of monitoring, health and nutrition data management and analysis through training and on job technical Support.
- Accountability and learning
- Support health and Nutrition team in developing and documenting success stories of the Adolescent and Maternal Nutrition projects
- Develop active and sustainable feedback mechanisms to health and nutrition teams with regards to project monitoring tools and systems and beneficiaries/stakeholders as needed
- Prepare key findings of the health and nutrition project from monthly monitoring, assessment, and other learning activities and facilitate and participate in information sharing opportunities
- Data Storage/documentation
- Work with MEAL Manager to check the availability of the right data on the hands of the right people at the right time
- Ensure the existence of appropriate system for data storage, retrieval and analysis at all level
- Support project teams in preparing and documenting success stories, best practices and cap statements
- Coordinate the implementation of the project evaluation/assessment such as baseline and survey, and final evaluation based on the needs.
- Participate in the regular monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual reports development together with the Health team.
- Participate in and/or lead project coordination and review meetings
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- In close consultation with MEAL Manager and field based health and nutrition team ensure that all data management tools are properly prepared, recorded and kept.
Key Working Relationships
- Internally the MEAL officer will work closely with MEAL Manager, health and nutrition officers, Health and Nutrition Coordinator, Logistics and Finance.
- Zonal Health Desk, Woreda Health office Health Workers, PHCU directors , HEWs
- Zonal and woreda education offices ,school directors and teachers
- Community leaders
- Additional responsibilities
- Support the planning ,implementation and coordination of adolescent and Maternal Nutrition projects
- Inform the Senior Nutrition Officer of any professional problems encountered
- Conduct all duties in a professional manner following Islamic Relief staff regulations and charter
- Ability to handle multiple tasks on an on-going basis, and adapt to a shift or change in priorities, including the ability to work a flexible work schedule as needed to meet deliverable deadlines
- Organize training courses
- Draft agendas and record minutes of staffs meetings and answer office correspondence
- Bachelor’s degree in health information technology, Biostatistics, public health, Nutrition or other related disciplines (Health or Nutrition Background is an added advantage)
- Minimum three years professional relevant experience
- Experience in Monitoring, database design, entry and analysis.
- Strong background in database management and technical knowledge on Ms excel and access.
- Excellent analytical and report writing skill.
- Excellent communication skills, organizational skills and the ability to work in a team
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Fluency in Somali language is Mandatory
How to apply;
Interested candidates are required to submit a complete application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
- You can access the application form with this link:https://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
- Closing date for the application is April 07, 2019.
- Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged.